Service! God’s own son, Jesus Christ, did not come to be served. He came to serve. I think the bible is pretty clear about what God wants me to do with my life. If I am truly striving to be more Christ-like, I need to give up some of my time. I might need to give up doing something that I really enjoy doing. I might need to change my regular routine so that I can serve God.
How can you serve God? Oh, my! There are so many ways your service is needed in our church. One very important place your service is needed is in the Children’s Department. There are many opportunities just waiting for you to choose.
- You can serve in the nursery or preschool during worship service. We have lots and lots of young children ranging in age from infants through Pre-K who would love to have you spend some time with them for an hour on a Sunday morning. Last Sunday we had 20 kids in the preschool department during the 11:00 service. In order to provide a safe and nurturing environment and comply with our policy of having two adults per classroom, we needed six adults. We need six adults every week during the 11:00 service. If you are a parent, grandparent or other relative of a child who comes to the preschool department during worship service, it would be so great for the kids to see you setting an example for them by serving on a regular basis – once a month or even once a quarter.
- You can serve by helping in a Children’s Life Group class. We have Life Group classes for all ages of children, beginning with babies and going up through sixth grade. We have a wonderful group of dedicated teachers, but every now and then they go out of town, have other family commitments or don’t feel well. It is unusual for both teachers to be out at the same time, so we just need helpers who can be on call to serve on an occasional Sunday. Even with our older kids, our safety policies require two adults in each classroom. Your service will help us ensure that we can keep the kids safe while they’re in our church.
- You can serve by helping during Children’s Church. Children’s Church is offered during the latter part of the 11:00 Praise and Worship Service for kids in grades K-3. This is a 30-minute worship service that is specially designed for kids. Leslie Knight does a wonderful job of leading the service and she needs a helper. If you have kids or grandkids who are participating in Children’s Church, your service once a month or once a quarter would be a great help. It would also be good for you to find out what they are learning and doing in Children’s Church so you can follow up on the teachings at home.
- You can serve on Wednesday evenings. Our Missions and Music program is growing by leaps and bounds. Every week brings new kids and new opportunities for us to lead them to serving Christ. What better way to teach them about service than to set the example yourself? You can volunteer to help with babies, toddlers, preschool and kindergartners or with grades 1-5.
- You can serve during Vacation Bible School. Vacation Bible School is one of the most exciting programs that we have in our church. We reach out to so many children and families throughout the community and get to experience the pure joy of watching kids accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Your help is needed in many ways during Vacation Bible School. We have classes for kids of all ages and so many ways to serve both in and out of the classrooms. How can you help this year?
Please pray about this and ask God for guidance in showing you the path to take so that you can serve as Jesus did. If you are called to serve in the Children’s Department, there are just a couple of steps you need to take.
- First, you need to be at least 15 years old, a member of the church and a Christian of good character.
- Next, you need to fill out and turn in an application form. This form includes references and authorization to perform a background check. For the safety of our kids, we have procedures in place to ensure that the adults who are volunteering in the classrooms have been screened.
- Finally, be willing to give a little time for orientation so that you will be comfortable in your new role and understand your responsibilities as a volunteer.
- You don’t need a degree in education or classroom experience. You are not required to be a parent or grandparent. There is no maximum age limit. All you need is a servant’s heart and a desire to share Christ’s love with kids. We will help you with the details!
If you have questions or if you are ready to begin serving in the Children’s Department, please come talk with me and pick up an application. I can’t wait to help you get started!